For the final listening example we were assigned Radiohead's, "Bodysnatchers". What is constant throughout the record is the distorted timbre of the guitar. When I first played the track, i immediately checked my computer to make sure I had all the plug-ins securely placed. Afterwards, I realized that this was the desired tone of the guitars throughout. The guitar opened the song with a repeated riff which would serve as a sort of reoccuring theme of the piece. Next, the lead vocalist is heard as he sings the first verse. I had a hard time following the lyrics of the piece until the line, "I'm trapped in this body. I can't get out". It seems that this line is a part of the chorus , which repeats soon after and alters the lyrics slightly by using the words, "I have no idea what you are talking about." After this we hear a chordal shift into the bridge. From here there is an instrumental interlude layered with vocal improvisation.
The text offered a very interesting analysis of the lyrics, citing the 1956 film, Invasion of the Body Snatchers as the basis of the methaphorical references. The main difference between the film and this song is that in the song "Bodysnatchers", the vocalist remains trapped in his own body where as in the film, the people were replaced with replicas of themselves. Starr continues to say that this metaphor can be very realistic for musicians in the music industry who feel trapped into producing commercially appealing music.
I feel that given the underlying meaning of the lyrics of this piece, this selection was a good listening example to end the course with. It raises the question of musicianship and artistry vs music that generates profit. Unfortunately, it seems that in order for some artists to be financially successful making music, there have to balance a bit of give and take in this area. Perhaps the question that each individual musician must ask themselves is, "What am I willing to sacrifice for the opportunity to create the music that I am passionate about?"
No comments:
Post a Comment